Beautiful green matcha is popping up everywhere these days. This vibrant powdered tea is trendy for great reason too! Matcha originated from Japan and is stoneground green tea leaves. Since you’re consuming the actual tea leaves when enjoying matcha, you’re provided with a nutritional powerhouse and tremendous health benefits.
According to studies, typically when we drink tea that has been steeped, we consume about 10-20% of the tea’s nutrients. With matcha however, since we’re consuming the whole tea leaves, we are taking in 100% of the tea’s nutrients.
Not to mention, it tastes delicious and is quick to make and easy to add to different recipes. You can add to your smoothies, baked goods, soup, kefir, yogurt, make as a basic tea and currently the most popular way, as a latte. Before sharing my favorite Homemade Lavender Matcha Latte Recipe, I wanted to share 8 benefits of adding in this beautiful, health-boosting tea!
1. Extremely High in Antioxidants: Matcha is actually higher in antioxidants than many, if not most, superfoods. We can thank the catechins, a type of antioxidant, for being so abundant in this tea. Compared to many vegetables and fruits, matcha green tea has an even higher amount of antioxidants. Therefore, this tea can be a great addition to a healthy diet and lifestyle. Not only are antioxidants crucial for overall health and decreasing chronic disease, they are also beneficial for anti-aging and beautiful skin.
2. Boost Energy: Matcha contains caffeine, however, a lower amount compared to coffee. The caffeine paired with the calming amino acid L-theanine can provide a more steady, sustainable energy for a longer period of time. Therefore, matcha tea can be a great coffee alternative for a nice energy boost without any excitability coffee might give.
3. Boost Mood & Increase Calmness: Let’s just call this the happy tea! Due to the above-mentioned L-theanine, matcha is calming, soothing and a great option to help us relax. A drink that is calming and boosts mood? Yes, please!
4. Increased Alertness & Higher Concentration: We can again thank L-theanine and caffeine for some appreciated benefits, including increased mental alertness and improved focus and concentration. Compared to regular green tea, matcha can provide five times the amount of L-theanine.
5. Detoxifying: The high amount of chlorophyll not only produces the beautiful, green color, but it also can be helpful in detoxifying the body and eliminating toxins, heavy metals and harmful chemicals. Chlorophyll also helps to strengthen the blood, balance hormones, can improve digestion, reduce inflammation and can strengthen the immune system.
6. Boost the Immune System: Not only does the chlorophyll boost the immune system, but the high amount of vitamins, especially A and C, along with the fiber, iron and protein, can contribute to a strong and healthy immune system.
7. Fat Burner & Weight Loss Aid: In addition to healthy eating and a proper fitness routine, there are certain foods and drinks you can add in for healthy, sustainable weight loss. Matcha can be one of those options. This green powder can be beneficial in boosting your metabolism and burning fat.
8. Mindfulness ritual: Last, but not least, making and drinking matcha can add greatly to your self-care and wellbeing. You can sip on it in the morning as you journal, read, pray or meditate. Allow the calming effects to help start your day off on the right foot. You can also enjoy in the early afternoon instead of reaching for coffee to encourage yourself to take a breath and pause in the middle of a busy day. This can help you refocus on how you want to finish out the rest of your day.
Homemade Lavender Matcha Latte Recipe
This homemade matcha latte is delicious, easy to make, dairy-free, naturally sweetened with honey, and requires only five ingredients.
If you’re wondering why the need for a bamboo whisk – Traditionally, in the Japanese tea ceremonies, bamboo whisks were used. Using this whisk stays with this tradition and adds to the authentic experience. It also helps the powder dissolve completely without any lumps and helps give it some froth on top.
1/3 cup hot water (not boiling)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp raw, local honey
½ heaping – 1 tsp matcha (1 tsp if you like a stronger flavor)
1/4 tsp culinary, edible lavender
Bamboo whisk (or also called a chasen)
1. Pour hot water into your favorite mug.
2. Add matcha to hot water.
3. Whisk briskly for about 1 minute until blended well and dissolved.
4. In a high-powered blender, blend almond milk, honey and culinary lavender buds.
5. Make sure to blend well. If you have a Vitamix, I recommend blending on high for 2-3 minutes making the mixture hot.
6. Pour milk, honey and lavender mixture into your mug.
7. Top with either lavender buds or garnish with lavender sticks.
8. Note: You can also use a milk frother if you have one or the blender creates that nice froth on the top as well.
Kara Stout is the founder of Nutrition By Kara, a wellness brand dedicated to empowering and supporting women to eat healthy, simply and beautifully with a focus on balance and intentional living. She blends her Masters in Counseling with her expertise as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist to help brides, wives and girl bosses reach their personal health goals of sustainable weight loss, increased energy, decreased stress, pretty skin, improved digestion and living a clean, healthy lifestyle. Kara is also a Food Photographer for lifestyle bloggers, coffee shops and health-focused restaurants. Additionally, she is the co-founder of Tee Chic, an apparel company that designs graphic tees for the fashionable fit and casually chic. Follow her on Instagram: @NutritionbyKara