As the holiday season swings into full gear, let’s take time to make sure we aren’t letting the stress and “busyness” of the holidays steal our peace and joy. The holidays can be a reminder of negative memories and past family tension. We all know that stress left unmanaged can take quite a toll on your physical health, mental health, and even your relationships. Let’s not wait till the season is over. Find that peace now by remembering to apply these 5 tools to your life.
1) Acceptance- Accepting where you are at right now. Stop fighting and resisting it! This is always the cause of our struggle. When we move with it it rather than resisting it, we are riding the universal wave that allows us to go with the flow of life. This is accessible to all of us because it travels through and around us. We are always riding it. It’s just a matter of whether we are willing to go with it or resist it. This can be scary. But, we must trust that we don’t always need to be in control of our situations. Peace can happen when we accept, forgive and let go of the past.
2) Being still/finding silence- We think getting busy will make us happy. However, this “busyness” stops us from feeling what we are supposed to feel. When we get “too busy,” we are focusing on outside stuff. However, the transformation happens in the place we can’t see. It happens on the inside. This can only happen when we get still and quiet our minds. Among all the busyness that this season brings, always take time for stillness through the practice of meditation, yoga or anything else that quiets your mind.
3) Be of service- The best way we can get out of our funk is help another being. We often get stuck in our own heads and caught up in the doom and gloom of our thinking. When we stop thinking about ourselves and get into action by helping somebody else, an instant shift happens in our thinking. When we remove ourselves from ourselves and serve with love, that same love comes right back into our hearts. Like Gandhi said “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
4) Find Gratitude- No matter what we are going through, there is always something to be grateful for. Give thanks now for all the good in your life. These moments of gratitude are like nurturing seeds, empowering intentions, supporting change for a more vibrant relationship for you and your world. When you are in harmony with gratitude, the magic and beauty of this life is all around you. When living in gratitude, you are not only honoring yourself but are also offering a generous gift to all of humanity.
5) Trust- Be able to trust that you are exactly where you need to be right now. No matter what the struggle is, your good will always find you! Allow yourself to find peace knowing that your life is under the watchful eye of the universe and it will never give you more than you can handle.